OG Blog Post #3
Before my surgery, my perspective was like this:
- My job isn’t satisfying every passion. I always felt I had so much to offer this world, and here I am, a 30-something with an OK job. How unoriginal.
- I’m unsure about this guy I’m dating. He’s not a bad guy, but my gut keeps telling me to cut him loose. Ugh, am I wasting my time?
- All I want in life is a big kitchen, a garden, a bathtub I can actually lay down in, a backyard, and a mini-golden doodle. And here I am, living in a shoebox where I can’t do or own any of these.
Newfound perspective:
- I have an income that allows me the lifestyle I desire. I work from 9-6 and never on weekends. I can work out during my lunch break. I get along fabulously with my boss. I get one-month vacation each year.
So let’s get this straight. With my current job: I am not overworked, I am permitted the time to have my own life and pursue hobbies, I can enjoy the city any evening of the week and all weekend, I have the luxury to stay fit without waking up early or spending my precious evenings at the gym, I have plenty of time for dating, I can afford quality clothes, I can now incorporate cooking into my life on a regular basis as I have wanted to for years, I can travel the world without feeling rushed, AND most importantly, I have time to explore other career options. Wait a minute… my job is AWESOME. And it’s actually perfect for where I am in my life right now.
- I listened to my gut and cut that dud loose! Holy
cow I’m so much happier now.
That is not a type-o, it’s supposed to say “dud.” I tried, it wasn’t
working, I learned from it, now time to move on. And how lucky am I to even
have that option for myself? To live
during a time when woman are allowed choices? What a blessing that I am
financially independent, have my own place, and possess the strength,
confidence, and support to not stay in a relationship out of fear of being
alone or the need to be taken care of by a man. Boy, I am one lucky girl! I
know He is out there and I can’t wait for the day we find each other.
- NYC doesn’t have to be your last home or last
city you live in. So start planning your escape plan to a more affordable city
that will allow you the luxury of space and a backyard, and in the meantime,
enjoy possibly your last several months in the greatest city on earth!
You are here by choice. It made sense seven years ago, but now you are in a new phase in your life and are prioritizing different things. This is normal. It’s called evolving as a human being. Appreciate how NYC has taught you to be a minimalist, be thankful you are at least living alone, and don’t forget that you can leave whenever you feel ready.
See how quickly
your entire state of mind can change, just by keeping proper perspective? It’s
almost like magic! Viewing my life through one mirror and then another.
Sincerely,
Sahra
