Thursday, November 13, 2014

Get It Together, Uber


I love Uber. It's pure genius and I often get irritated that I didn't think of it myself.

But here is my complaint: They do not know where they are going. EVER.

Maybe I'm spoiled after spending almost a decade in NYC, but I'm used to jumping in a cab, telling the driver the cross streets, and spending the rest of the ride talking to my friend, looking out the window, catching up on emails, or calling my mom. In other words, I am completely checked out and get to spend those 15 minutes however I like. I trust my cabbie, and nine out of ten times he knows exactly where he's going.

Then there's Uber. Even though the cars are fancy, they offer you bottled water, and they sometimes even hold the door open for you... they are clueless with directions. Here is my standard Uber experience:

- 'Set Pickup Location' on my phone
- Text is sent informing me Uber is on it's way
- Another text informing me Uber has arrived
- We head out the front door
- No Uber
- A few minutes later, I get a phone call asking for my exact address (isn't that the point of the app?)
- I give it to him and he says "OK will be there momentarily"
- We wait
- No Uber
- He calls again and now asks for the cross streets
- I give him cross streets and he says "OK will be there momentarily"
- We wait
- No Uber
- He calls again. But this time he tell me what streets he is on and asks how to get to my pickup location
- I end up sitting on the phone with him and giving him step by step directions on how to get to my location, until he drives right up in front of me and I wave at him to pull over while I'm still on the phone with him. He's arrived!
- Uber driver jumps out of the car, opens the door for us, and apologizes profusely (always very friendly those Uber drivers)
- "Where to?" He asks
- "Sunset, corner of Stanley"
- He starts driving south on San Vicente towards Wilshire (complete opposite direction)
- I say "Woah woahhh do you know where Sunset is? Get to Sunset and head east."
- He pulls over and says "Sorry, please give me the address"
- (OMG) "1510 N Stanley Avenue"
- He punches it into this GPS (PUNCHES IT INTO HIS GPS!?)
- Since we all know that GPS can often take you in a roundabout way, I end up guiding him street by street on how to get where I want to go.

Needless to say, I didn't get to enjoy the company of my fellow Uber riders as I had to pay close attention so he wouldn't miss any streets. Which they do if you don't hold their hands the entire ride.

Call me crazy, but shouldn't there be a test for drivers? A test of the main roads in the area you are assigned to navigate? Doesn't that seem fair? Approriate? A requirement as a driver??

And what's worse is that when I tell the driver to head east, for instance, he doesn't even know which way is east. How is that possible? Even if you are not required to take a test, as a driver wouldn't you take it upon yourself to familiarize yourself with a map so you have the slightest clue of the main roads and which direction is what? Glance at the GPS every now and then so you have an idea of east, of west, north, south. At the very least! What happened to taking pride in your work and having the personal desire to be the very best at what you do. Take the little time it takes to learn. Learn. Use your brain. Challenge yourself. 

There are too many shortcuts nowadays and it has made people lazy. Your brain is a muscle, folks. Just like your abdominal muscles, if you stop using them you lose strength. The internet has spoiled people and many do not want to use their brains anymore because they do not have to. It's disappointing and discouraging.

Uber COO: please make a road test part of the driving requirements so your drivers are as smart as your company.

Uber Drivers: if it's not a requirement, please do your homework and try to use your brain power while you drive. It's good exercise for that muscle, and makes for a much better experience for your customers that you are so eager to please.


Me, personally? I would choose a ride in an OK car with a smart driver, than a fancy ride with a clueless driver any day.


Sincerely,
Sahra