Tuesday, January 12, 2016

What About Our 30s?



Growing up, adults would always remind me of how amazing it is to be “young” and to live up and appreciate every moment.

It’s true, during college and in my 20s I was free as a bird— working hard, playing hard, traveling all over, and ultimately worrying only about myself and what made me happy. Which in my opinion is exactly how you should spend those years: exploring, experimenting, and “finding yourself” (as they call it).

However, as soon as I turned 30 all the friendly reminders stopped. How come no one ever speaks of the sweetness of this stage? Why aren’t my elders reminding me to hold on to these years and live up every waking moment?  For me, this has been the best decade.

My 30s have been comprised of countless celebratory hugs and tearful phone calls to learn one of my dear friends or family members got engaged, confirmed a wedding date, bought a house, landed the job of their dreams, and by far the most exciting – a pregnancy announcement.  There is no piece of news that brings more happiness to you, your spouse, your family, and your friends. Can you imagine no more than a couple months going by without learning of a new pregnancy or birth of a newborn? It’s pure bliss. And it’s all in your 30s.

I must admit, there was a nervousness about leaving my years of super independence, but what about the beauty of never having to do anything alone again? The security of knowing there is someone to support you in every new challenge life sends your way? What’s not to love about building a home, a family, and a life with someone who adores you? Or even friendships. The friendships that are lasting through your 30s are more real and valuable. You become more comfortable with yourself and certain with how you prefer to spend your time, which in turn makes you smarter and pickier with the friends you keep close.

Perhaps I wouldn’t feel so happy with where I am now if I hadn’t spent my 20s the way I did, but either way, I am here to let all my young readers know that YOUR 30s ROCK TOO. Live up your 20s and enjoy the freedom and independence to the fullest, but know there is another decade right around the corner that is going to blast you with joy and happiness!


Sincerely,
Sahra

No comments:

Post a Comment