Tuesday, December 5, 2017
The Little Kid in All of Us
I cried at the end of my two year old's music class. We were singing the 'goodbye' song and I felt a little boy give me a hug. The song instructs kids to hug their mommy's so I assumed it was my son, but when I saw my Caspian standing next to me I realized it was a sweet boy I had only seen a few times. I was flattered he was inclined to share his warm embrace with me and when he proceeded to hug all the other children and parents in the class, one by one, I was moved to tears. His mother saw me crying and gave me the loveliest smile and thanked me for being brought to emotions by her son's actions.
Later that day as I explained the incident to my husband, I got choked up again. I wasn't sure what was making me so emotional, but after some soul digging I realized I've been so disturbed by all the ugly in the world that this was a refreshing reminder of who we all were before we learned how to hate people of different backgrounds and religions, before we became predators, before we were able to buy a gun and shoot innocent souls. At one point, we were all happy little toddlers graciously giving away hugs to complete strangers. No walls, no hate, no shame.
We are all born good. We are all born kind. All the judgment and hate towards one another is learned. If we made the effort to tap back into that innocent toddler within each of us, perhaps we could also go back to being brave enough to spread our love openly and freely to one another. And maybe this simple action could be a step towards dissipating the hate and spreading the humanity.
Sincerely,
Sahra
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for sharing, Sahra. More good than bad still exists in the world. We just sometimes have to look a little harder. And it is a great lesson to take notice.
ReplyDelete