Wednesday, December 10, 2014

LA vs. NYC - Can't We All Just Get Along?



The burning question, Los Angeles vs. New York City.. Which is better? Which is cooler?

As a certified New Yorker who lived in LA both before and after NYC, people often ask me if I like LA or NYC more. And my response is always the same, "Both cities are amazing, it just depends what you're looking for." 

If your priority is to be surrounded by culture, professional growth, overt intellectual stimulation, style and urban living -- you likely will not be happy in LA. If you're looking for sunshine, laid back people, space, healthy living, outdoor adventures and physical challenges -- you likely will not be happy in NYC. 

It's easy for me to answer this question because I've felt both. Toward the end of living in LA from '02-'05 I felt the former; and when I left NYC and moved back to LA eight years later I felt the latter.

I've seen numerous articles about people who prefer LA and attack NYC and vice versa. I don't understand why there can't just be a preference and stop there. Is it necessary to point out how NYC has horrible weather, nasty people, and long work hours? And that LA people seem fake and it's a real drag having to drive everywhere? 

To me, the "bad" is also what creates the charm: freezing winters can be cozy and scorching hot summers can be sexy, the no bullshit attitude makes for impeccable loyalty and friendships, and the people work hard because they are driven to achieve their goals. And on the flip side, it's actually pleasant to get smiled at when running daytime errands, and driving to work with my sunroof open while listening to NPR and sipping coffee from my cup holder is pretty sweet too. 

Both cities are beautiful. Just because they are among the top U.S. big cities to reside in doesn't mean we are inclined to choose one over the other, love one and hate the other. LA and NYC shouldn't be compared at all in my opinion. Rather, they should both be embraced for the very different awe-inspiring experiences each has to offer. I can't imagine one without the other. 


Sincerely,
Sahra

2 comments:

  1. Great article! It would be interesting to me if you did a comparison of the Midwest to the coasts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear teddy- thanks for the shout out. Miss you like crazy.
    xoxo- nyc

    ReplyDelete